The arrival of a new baby is cause for joy and celebration in a family. Close friends and family members who find themselves becoming grandparents, or aunts and uncles – all will be thrilled and will be looking for the ideal baby gift and all will be wondering what is a really nice baby gift to buy.
Buying the ideal gift for a newborn baby can be difficult, especially if you don’t have children of your own and therefore are less versed in what makes for a useful and helpful baby gift for a newborn baby.
Hopefully, this article will help you to make better informed decisions when it comes to buying baby gifts.
Buying A Gift For A New Born Baby
A new born baby is interested only in the basic, fundamental needs which are for:
Therefore, apart from milk, hugging and comfort – your newborn little nephew, a friend’s newborn and generally every other newborn baby is not going to want more than this.
Toys are not high on a list as far as the newborn is concerned!
However, friends and family members will want to buy “something” for the new arrival as it would be quite rude to turn up to see the new baby empty handed.
Should I Buy Toys As Gifts For A New Born Baby?
A newborn baby is not going to play with toys for a few months yet. However, decorative toys such as plush pets and cuddly creatures look cute in the nursery and as a safe bet for people to buy as gifts.
Please check and make sure that the cuddly gifts you are buying are appropriate for a newborn baby as many seemingly safe gifts can sometimes be a choking hazard and are not suitable for children under the age of 3 years.
The most useful toys to buy a newborn would be things such as a baby mobile for the cot or baby stroller. Baby mobiles come in lots of different colors and with lots of different characters and attachments, so if you are thinking of buying one of these, check with the new parents first in case you double up or end up buying the wrong type of baby mobile.
Baby mobiles are meant to stimulate the baby and many parents will have done their research to find what they will consider to be the best baby mobiles around!
Baby rattles, soft fabric baby books and cubes and keys that can be used for teething later on, all make ideal baby toys for the newborn – even though the baby won’t be “playing” with these things just yet.
Baby Einstein Toys toys are extremely popular, probably because this range of toys is best known for helping to promote music appreciation and auditory development in babies. A lot of their toys play baby friendly versions of the classical masterpieces by Mozart, Vivaldi, Chopin and Rossini with the Baby Einstein Tunes.
Practical & Useful Newborn Baby Gifts
Remember that newborns don’t really do much.
They drink milk, soil a lot of nappies and sleep a lot.
So, buying lots of stimulating interactive toys might not be the ideal solution although, like many people, you might prefer to buy something for the baby when it is a few months older.
Parents will have bought the basics such as a crib, pushchair, bedding for kids, baby bath, clothes and so on.
However, knowing that the cost of preparing for a baby’s arrival can be quite high financially, any of the following might make for good newborn gifts:
1) Vouchers and gift cards – perfect because these give the parents the option of buying anything they want
2) Clothing – Buying clothes for an older age will be great. For example, clothes aged from 3-6 months or older. Parents will have focussed mainly on buying clothes for use in the short term. Therefore, by buying bigger clothes, you will be helping the parents later.
3) Large and more expensive items – Sharing with other friends and family members and contributing towards the larger and more expensive baby items such as the cot, the wardrobe, pushchair, car seat would really be helpful. These items cost $100s of dollars and therefore, if you can offer to help pay towards the cost of this, I am sure the parents would be grateful. (We were!)
4) Nicer, more expensive clothing items – parents will have spent so much money on the basics (crib, basic baby clothes, car seat etc) that they no longer have money to spent on the “niceties”. Buying a pretty dress or a smart outfit for boys..makes for a lovely gift.
Baby Aspen are a baby gift retailers and they specialise in a huge range of pretty and practical gifts for newborns and babies.
5) Keepsakes and mementos – gift items such as an engraved photo album, or engraved silver toothboxes (for baby’s first tooth) and so on are gifts that will be kept by the parents for years to come. They won’t help in the short term but are nice reminders for the baby when he grows up.
6) Nursery bedding and blankets – Nursery bedding is something that new parents will need and you could offer to buy some of this. A practical gift but so needed too! Baby blankets and snuggle sacks are cute and practical too and make an ideal gift.
Best Gifts To Buy Friends New Born Baby
Again, it depends on how well acquainted you are with your friends. Something nice and pretty, such as a Baby Aspen gift, whether it is a 5 piece gift set or 3 Piece Golf Layette Set, or the Baby M.D Two-Piece Layette set – all make for the perfect gift items for friends’ baby.
If you are buying for really good friends that you have known for years and are very comfortable with, then offering to pay towards the cost of the larger and more expensive nursery furniture or baby strollers, would be a good gesture. You can contribute towards the needed and more practical things that a baby needs.
If you are wondering what to gift to parents of a newborn baby, then you might want to consider these practical and much needed baby items:
- Baby car seat
- Bath tub
- Diapers and wipes
Newborn Online Gift
Buying gifts online is a very easy way to do your baby gift shopping and you will probably find much more choice and variety than you would offline, when you visit a store at a time.
The baby gift market is booming online and you will definitely be able to find the right gifts to buy for a new born baby if you shop online.